The long awaited Awards Ceremony of the EVO IOOC 5th Edition was broadcast live on Facebook from the mobile studio, located in Palmi – Piazza Municipio, the political center of the welcoming Calabrian town nestled in the Costa Viola.
During the award ceremony the work and professionalism of the precious judges of EVO IOOC 2020, the real engine of the whole complex organizational machine of the contest, was remembered – through the words of judges on Skype from Japan, Greece and Italy.
The international judges Aida Lazzez (Tunisia), Birsen Can Pehlivan and Mehmet Özgü Manisali (Turkey), Ehud Soriano (Israel), Cristina Stribacu, Eleftheria Germanaki and Kostas Liris (Greece), Miciyo Yamada, Hiromi Nakamura and Nori Ogido (Japan), Na Xie (China), Javier Sànchez Pedròs, Juan Baseda Torruella, Mª Ángeles Calvo Fandos (Spain), Francisco Ataíde Pavão (Portugal), Roberto Marchesini, Indra Galbo, Simona Cognoli, Nicolangelo Marsicani and Vincenzo Melissari (Italy) have been mentioned. Were also presented the national judges (Lidia Viterale, Lucia Talotta, Antonio Maria Riggio and Giuseppina Loria), all expert professional tasters, who evaluated and awarded the EVO oils and condiments in competition.
The fifth edition of EVO IOOC was, without a doubt, an edition on its own; more challenging, but also rewarding in many ways. The organizational difficulties in preparing the event were matched by the support and encouragement of the manufacturing companies involved in our project which – we remember – cuts the ribbon of its first five years. To those who continue to believe in our work and to all those who urge us to keep the commitment we have made, namely that of enhancement and promotion of EVOOs and quality Flavoured EVOOS , we have reserved some gifts. The brand new EVO IOOC quality stickers have been made available free of charge to the 2020 winners, which can be placed on the packaging of EVOOOs and Flavoured EVOOs that have established themselves at EVO IOOC Italy 2020. This is not a simple stamp but a real seal of quality, which will encourage the commercial activity and promotion of EVOOs and Flavoured EVOOs awarded in the competition
A. G. Lauro, President of the competition
A look at the numbers.
There were 491 EVOOs and Flavoured EVOOs in the competition, with an increase of 13% at the 2019 edition. Products entered from 25 countries around the world, divided between the Northern and Southern Hemisphere.
A good number of winners, counting 405 medals awarded between Gold and Silver. A large number of Italian representative (179 members) which are awarded 147 total medals, followed by Greece (66 entries and 55 awards), Spain (62 entries and a total of 50 medals, between Gold and Silver) and Turkey (61 entries and 54 total medals).
To enrich and complete the EVO IOOC 2020 medal table, the awards assigned to Argentina (14), Azerbaijan (1), Belgium (4), Brazil (12), Canada (1), China (2), Croatia (4), France (1), Germany (4), Israel (2), Lebanon (5), Malta (1), Portugal (15), Slovenia (1), Tunisia (4), Uruguay (2) and the United States of America (26).
While, as regards the EVOO section, 449 samples were received; of these, 42.7% certified (PDO / PGI and Bio), with 12.5% of EVO oils with PDO / IGP designation and 30.2% of Organic EVO oils. There were 42 condiments based on extra virgin olive oil, variously flavored.
Monovarietal EVO oils represented 65.3% of the total, with about 140 varieties present, to tell the purest expressions and the terroir of the world olive growing territories. Furthermore, the remaining part (34.7%) was made up of blends, or coupages, containing on average two / three different varieties of olives.
Among all the medals awarded by EVO IOOC 2020, the three Gold Medals from Tunisia and the two Chinese take on a high value, in addition to the surprising – in the eyes of neophytes – “gold” recognition won with merit by Lebanon.
Also among the Silver Medals honor to Azerbaijan and Malta, as well as to the women of Israel, with products born in the context of a strong work of integration between the Arab and Israeli communities, directed by a non-profit organization formed exclusively by women.
Among all the EVOOs in competition, three of the most coveted trophies (Best in Class), classified by individual categories and hemisphere to which they belong, went to the Italian world oil excellences of Calabria, Lazio and Puglia.
Two Best in Class to Spain, with the Southern Hemisphere dominated by Brazil (three Best in Class). Among the special prizes, to remember the Best of South America dedicated to the memory of Ràul C. Castellani, co-founder of the competition.